healeys

Re: [Healeys] 100/4 / A90 old style valve seals

To: Michael Oritt <michael.oritt@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] 100/4 / A90 old style valve seals
From: Bob Spidell <bspidell@comcast.net>
Date: Mon, 22 Feb 2021 08:08:16 -0800
Cc: Austin Healey <healeys@autox.team.net>

--------------78FFFBED06C2C320FACEA42D

That thought crossed my mind. I use silicone grease to lube oil filter
gaskets, and putting silicone dielectric grease in our ancient
electrical connectors--my dad's Model As used the same type--seems to
help prevent some of the Lucas gremlins. I use a silicone 'oil' where
light lubrication is needed and dirt and dust can build up (speedo
cables and Bendix gears on starters come to mind).

I'm taking the '50 to 75' years 'spec' with a grain of sodium chloride;
cars of that era were designed and built to last for only a few years
before being traded-in or scrapped, but my BJ8 has over 205K miles and
is going strong (but shows her age).

So, Alan, what did you decide?

On 2/22/2021 7:00 AM, Michael Oritt wrote:
> [...]
>     rubber parts with a petroleum-based grease or oil; silicone is
>     supposedly less antagonistic to rubber.
>
>     Side note: The original car gear for the 4-cyls, with the metal
>     'slinger' plate are NLA. A Moss blurb advises transferring an
>     original plate to one of their newer replacements; anyone tried
>     this (it requires rivets)?
>

>     On 2/21/2021 12:37 PM, Michael Salter via Healeys wrote:
>>     Until fairly recent years I had never experienced the breaking up
>>     of the rubber slipper on timing chain tensioners but the engine I
>>     recently disassembled had one that was completely destroyed.
>>     Apparently this was the original tensioner so I'm wondering if
>>     these things have a definite life which originals are now reaching.

>>     On Sun, Feb 21, 2021 at 2:27 PM Michael Oritt via Healeys
>>
>>         In the string about rubber valve seal shrouds Bob Spidell
>>         said:  "By no means let crumbling rubber parts see the inside
>>         of an engine."
>>
>>         About a year back I dropped the oil pan on my 100 to replace
>>         the oil pump and found numerous chunks of what seemed like
>>         very hard black plastic distributed throughout the sump.
>>         This was a head scratcher as I knew there could be no plastic
>>         in the engine's interior yet there it was.  After
>>         thinking about it further I decided that it could only have
>>         been the remains of the rubber timing chain tensioner and
>>         sure enough when I pulled the front cover I saw that the
>>         tensioner was non-existent and the chain pretty loose.  I
>>         replaced the chain and tensioner--not an easy job--and
>>         magically a chattering sound that had been appearing at
>>         certain rpm's disappeared, no doubt a harmonic rattling of
>>         the loose timing chain.
>>
>>         Best--Michael Oritt
>>
>>         On Sun, Feb 21, 2021 at 12:17 PM Bob Spidell
>>
>>             Most mechanics favor modern 'top hat' style seals--I
>>             think they're one
>>             piece--unless, of course, Concours Gold requires blue
>>             smoke from the
>>             tailpipe.
>>
>>             By no means let crumbling rubber parts see the inside of
>>             an engine.
>>
>>             Bob
>>

>>             On 2/20/2021 9:28 PM, Alan Seigrist via Healeys wrote:
>>             > All -
>>             >
>>             > On my A90 I am lapping one of the exhaust valves and
>>             this seal came
>>             > off the upper part of the valve guide.
>>             >
>>             > It seems this is an original style valve seal shroud
>>             which no one
>>             > sells.  I assume the best thing is to remove it and
>>             chuck it,
>>             > correct?  It's already half disintegrated and I'm not
>>             really worried
>>             > but would prefer to not  put it back on and have old
>>             rubber parts
>>             > getting into the oil.
>>             >
>>             > Am I correct to not put it back on?  No one seems to

  <head>
  </head>
    That thought crossed my mind. I use silicone grease to lube oil
    filter gaskets, and putting silicone dielectric grease in our
    ancient electrical connectors--my dad's Model As used the same
    type--seems to help prevent some of the Lucas gremlins. I use a
    silicone 'oil' where light lubrication is needed and dirt and dust
    can build up (speedo cables and Bendix gears on starters come to
    mind).<br>
    I'm taking the '50 to 75' years 'spec' with a grain of sodium
    chloride; cars of that era were designed and built to last for only
    a few years before being traded-in or scrapped, but my BJ8 has over
    205K miles and is going strong (but shows her age).<br>
    So, Alan, what did you decide?<br>
      wrote:<br>
cite="mid:CAPTa0B6uwy5rv34G8UaZ3+ref_d8zMVb3651iwTXu0N_8UaqgQ@mail.gmail.com">
            style="color:rgb(51,51,255)">Bob wrote:  </span><font
            color="#0000ff">"I'm surprised they lasted this long--if
            they did--it's a pretty harsh environment for rubber. As a
            rule, I don't lubricate any rubber parts with a
            petroleum-based grease or oil; silicone is supposedly less
            antagonistic to rubber."</font></div>
color="#0000ff">--------------------------------------------</font></div>
            75 years is a pretty good replacement cycle.  </font></div>
            we should now be searching for silicon-based motor
oils?</font></div>
            Oritt</font></div>
          PM Bob Spidell &lt;<a href="mailto:bspidell@comcast.net";
            moz-do-not-send="true">bspidell@comcast.net</a>&gt; wrote:<br>
          0.8ex;border-left:1px solid rgb(204,204,204);padding-left:1ex">
            life which originals are now reaching."<br>
            I'm surprised they lasted this long--if they did--it's a
            pretty harsh environment for rubber. As a rule, I don't
            lubricate any rubber parts with a petroleum-based grease or
            oil; silicone is supposedly less antagonistic to rubber.<br>
            Side note: The original car gear for the 4-cyls, with the
            metal 'slinger' plate are NLA. A Moss blurb advises
            transferring an original plate to one of their newer
            replacements; anyone tried this (it requires rivets)?<br>
              wrote:<br>
                  style="font-family:&quot;comic sans
                  ms&quot;,sans-serif;font-size:small">Until fairly
                  recent years I had never experienced the breaking up
                  of the rubber slipper on timing chain tensioners but
                  the engine I recently disassembled had one that was
                  completely destroyed. Apparently this was the original
                  tensioner so I'm wondering if these things have a
                  definite life which originals are now reaching.</div>
                  style="font-family:&quot;comic sans
                  ms&quot;,sans-serif;font-size:small"><br>
                  style="font-family:&quot;comic sans
                  ms&quot;,sans-serif;font-size:small">M<br>
                  at 2:27 PM Michael Oritt via Healeys &lt;<a
                    href="mailto:healeys@autox.team.net"; target="_blank"
                    moz-do-not-send="true">healeys@autox.team.net</a>&gt;
                  wrote:<br>
                  0px 0.8ex;border-left:1px solid
                  rgb(204,204,204);padding-left:1ex">
                      style="color:rgb(51,51,255)">In the string about
                      rubber valve seal shrouds Bob Spidell said:  "By
                      no means let crumbling rubber parts see the inside
                      of an engine."</div>
                      style="color:rgb(51,51,255)"><br>
                      style="color:rgb(51,51,255)">About a year back I
                      dropped the oil pan on my 100 to replace the oil
                      pump and found numerous chunks of what seemed like
                      very hard black plastic distributed throughout the
                      sump.  This was a head scratcher as I knew there
                      could be no plastic in the engine's interior yet
                      there it was.  After thinking about it further I
                      decided that it could only have been the remains
                      of the rubber timing chain tensioner and sure
                      enough when I pulled the front cover I saw that
                      the tensioner was non-existent and the chain
                      pretty loose.  I replaced the chain and
                      tensioner--not an easy job--and magically a
                      chattering sound that had been appearing at
                      certain rpm's disappeared, no doubt a harmonic
                      rattling of the loose timing chain.</div>
                      style="color:rgb(51,51,255)"><br>
                      style="color:rgb(51,51,255)">Best--Michael Oritt</div>
                      2021 at 12:17 PM Bob Spidell &lt;<a
                        href="mailto:bspidell@comcast.net";
                        target="_blank"
moz-do-not-send="true">bspidell@comcast.net</a>&gt;
                      wrote:<br>
                      0px 0px 0.8ex;border-left:1px solid
                      rgb(204,204,204);padding-left:1ex">Most mechanics
                      favor modern 'top hat' style seals--I think
                      they're one <br>
                      piece--unless, of course, Concours Gold requires
                      blue smoke from the <br>
                      tailpipe.<br>
                      By no means let crumbling rubber parts see the
                      inside of an engine.<br>
                      Bob<br>
                      On 2/20/2021 9:28 PM, Alan Seigrist via Healeys
                      wrote:<br>
                      &gt; All -<br>
                      &gt;<br>
                      &gt; On my A90 I am lapping one of the exhaust
                      valves and this seal came <br>
                      &gt; off the upper part of the valve guide.<br>
                      &gt;<br>
                      &gt; It seems this is an original style valve seal
                      shroud which no one <br>
                      &gt; sells.  I assume the best thing is to remove
                      it and chuck it, <br>
                      &gt; correct?  It's already half disintegrated and
                      I'm not really worried <br>
                      &gt; but would prefer to not  put it back on and
                      have old rubber parts <br>
                      &gt; getting into the oil.<br>
                      &gt;<br>
                      &gt; Am I correct to not put it back on?  No one
                      seems to sell these.<br>
                      &gt;<br>
                      &gt; Best,<br>
                      &gt;<br>