healeys

Re: [Healeys] hot coil

To: healeys@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Healeys] hot coil
From: Bob Spidell <bspidell@comcast.net>
Date: Sat, 25 Apr 2020 09:01:10 -0700

--------------9797801B9DB80A8AC2CC09D3

Slightly OT: What is the 'insulating oil?'  In large, power grid
transformers, the insulating oil at one time was PCBs, a serious
carcinogen.  A big deal was made about this decades ago, and I
assume--yeah, I know what 'ass-U-me' means--that those were replaced, at
least in newer versions (knowing PG&E, maybe not). I wonder if old,
oil-filled coils, which are essentially transformers, still might have
some PCBs in them, in which case they need to be treated with the
necessary concern.  OTOH, although I've never deconstructed a Lucas
coil, some coils I've seen the internals of used heavy, oily paper as
the dielectric.

If you have a Pertronix (I) instead of points, and the distributor comes
to rest with the power transistor in the forward-biased state I'd guess
the Pertronix would fry first, though I've left my key in the run
position longer than I should have a couple times and, although the coil
got warm, the Pertronix survived.

Bob

On 4/25/2020 8:37 AM, John Harper wrote:
> Carl
>
> It depends on where the engine comes to rest. If contact breakers are
> open then is nothing to heat the coil. Version made at about the end
> of A-H production will heat up but should not burn up.
>
> One problem one might have is that a coil may be OK on test but after
> a few miles will fail. This is possibly because the insulating oil has
> leak out. This can happen very slowly and may not be noticed.
>
> Best regards
>
> On Sat, 25 Apr 2020 at 14:43, Carl Rubino <rubino@truespeed.ca
>
>     How long can you have the ignition on  without starting before the
>     coil burns itself up.
>     --
>
> Best wishes
>
> John Harper
>
> AHC UK 100 Register Secretary

--------------9797801B9DB80A8AC2CC09D3

  <head>
  </head>
    Slightly OT: What is the 'insulating oil?'  In large, power grid
    transformers, the insulating oil at one time was PCBs, a serious
    carcinogen.  A big deal was made about this decades ago, and I
    assume--yeah, I know what 'ass-U-me' means--that those were
    replaced, at least in newer versions (knowing PG&amp;E, maybe not).
    I wonder if old, oil-filled coils, which are essentially
    transformers, still might have some PCBs in them, in which case they
    need to be treated with the necessary concern.  OTOH, although I've
    never deconstructed a Lucas coil, some coils I've seen the internals
    of used heavy, oily paper as the dielectric.<br>
    If you have a Pertronix (I) instead of points, and the distributor
    comes to rest with the power transistor in the forward-biased state
    I'd guess the Pertronix would fry first, though I've left my key in
    the run position longer than I should have a couple times and,
    although the coil got warm, the Pertronix survived.<br>
    Bob<br>
      wrote:<br>
cite="mid:CAL1OyxcsFPnE-=-LbWLEPqawnDjvkVAiZb4db6J4t-Hvi=EuGg@mail.gmail.com">
          breakers are open then is nothing to heat the coil. Version
          made at about the end of A-H production will heat up but
          should not burn up.</div>
          but after a few miles will fail. This is possibly because the
          insulating oil has leak out. This can happen very slowly and
          may not be noticed.</div>
          Carl Rubino &lt;<a href="mailto:rubino@truespeed.ca";
            moz-do-not-send="true">rubino@truespeed.ca</a>&gt; wrote:<br>
          0.8ex;border-left:1px solid rgb(204,204,204);padding-left:1ex">
                style="font-size:12pt;font-family:Calibri;color:rgb(0,0,0)">
                  starting before the coil burns itself up.</div>
          -- <br>

--------------9797801B9DB80A8AC2CC09D3--

--===============3539028056660565129==