healeys

Re: [Healeys] SU Dashpot puzzle

To: healeys@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Healeys] SU Dashpot puzzle
From: Kees Oudesluijs <coudesluijs@chello.nl>
Date: Sun, 6 Oct 2019 19:42:17 +0200

--------------72FA6E1C0605E2D231EFC36E

Did you keep the pistons with the dashpots. They are matched.

Kees Oudesluijs

Op 6-10-2019 om 19:32 schreef simon.lachlan@alexarevel.plus.com:

> Here?s one for the technoctats:-
>
> You may have noticed my posts about swapping from two-shouldered to
> single-shouldered dashpots. I did it because having two of one and one
> of the other was irritating, not because I thought there?d be any changes.
>
> So, I swapped the offending two and that gave me three HD6s, all with
> one shoulder.
>
> Car started on the choke, same as normal. Seemingly!
>
> However, doing the garden hose in one ear trick revealed that the rear
> carb, always single shouldered, was making less intake hiss than the
> other recently added pair. Easily rectified.
>
> I took the car out this afternoon. Started fine and ran well. But, if
> I eased off, the revs dropped and the engine cut out. Also, there was
> quite a lot of popping and f**ting on the overrun.
>
> So, on my return, I gave the front two carbs about half a turn up on
> the slow idle screws. This, quite small adjustment really, seemed to
> cure it and even to raise the idle rather higher than I like.
>
> Adjusted down quarter of a turn and all seems well.
>
> Questions:- beyond the obvious ? ie that changing dashpots does make a
> difference after all ? what is going on? Why was there a change?
>
> (Plainly, I swapped needles and springs when I swapped dashpots so
> I?ve got all the same in the carbs?.the ones that I had all along).
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Simon

> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/coudesluijs@chello.nl

--------------72FA6E1C0605E2D231EFC36E

  <head>
      charset=windows-1252">
  </head>
      <a class="moz-txt-link-abbreviated"
href="mailto:simon.lachlan@alexarevel.plus.com";>simon.lachlan@alexarevel.plus.com</a>:<br>
      cite="mid:000001d57c6c$199fe880$4cdfb980$@alexarevel.plus.com">
        charset=windows-1252">
        medium)">
/* Font Definitions */
@font-face
        {font-family:"Cambria Math";
        panose-1:2 4 5 3 5 4 6 3 2 4;}
@font-face
        {font-family:Calibri;
        panose-1:2 15 5 2 2 2 4 3 2 4;}
/* Style Definitions */
        {margin:0cm;
        margin-bottom:.0001pt;
        font-size:11.0pt;
        font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif;
        mso-fareast-language:EN-US;}
a:link, span.MsoHyperlink
        {mso-style-priority:99;
        color:#0563C1;
        text-decoration:underline;}
a:visited, span.MsoHyperlinkFollowed
        {mso-style-priority:99;
        color:#954F72;
        text-decoration:underline;}
span.EmailStyle17
        {mso-style-type:personal-compose;
        font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif;
        color:windowtext;}
.MsoChpDefault
        {mso-style-type:export-only;
        font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif;
        mso-fareast-language:EN-US;}
@page WordSection1
        {size:612.0pt 792.0pt;
        margin:72.0pt 72.0pt 72.0pt 72.0pt;}
div.WordSection1
        {page:WordSection1;}
--></style><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
<o:shapedefaults v:ext="edit" spidmax="1026" />
<o:shapelayout v:ext="edit">
<o:idmap v:ext="edit" data="1" />
</o:shapelayout></xml><![endif]-->
          swapping from two-shouldered to single-shouldered dashpots. I
          did it because having two of one and one of the other was
          irritating, not because I thought there?d be any
changes.<o:p></o:p></p>
          gave me three HD6s, all with one shoulder.<o:p></o:p></p>
          Seemingly!<o:p></o:p></p>
          trick revealed that the rear carb, always single shouldered,
          was making less intake hiss than the other recently added
          pair. Easily rectified.<o:p></o:p></p>
          fine and ran well. But, if I eased off, the revs dropped and
          the engine cut out. Also, there was quite a lot of popping and
          f**ting on the overrun.<o:p></o:p></p>
          carbs about half a turn up on the slow idle screws. This,
          quite small adjustment really, seemed to cure it and even to
          raise the idle rather higher than I like. <o:p></o:p></p>
          seems well.<o:p></o:p></p>
          changing dashpots does make a difference after all ? what is
          going on? Why was there a change?<o:p></o:p></p>
          when I swapped dashpots so I?ve got all the same in the
          carbs?.the ones that I had all along).<o:p></o:p></p>
      <pre class="moz-quote-pre"
wrap="">_______________________________________________

href="http://www.team.net/pipermail/healeys";>http://www.team.net/pipermail/healeys</a>
 <a class="moz-txt-link-freetext"