healeys

Re: [Healeys] Front Shock Camber Plates

To: Perry <healeyguy@aol.com>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Front Shock Camber Plates
From: Bob Spidell <bspidell@comcast.net>
Date: Fri, 28 Jun 2019 17:53:59 -0700
Cc: "healeys@autox.team.net" <healeys@autox.team.net>

--------------EEB79E579A9BC0AE9928B12C

Thanks, Perry.

At the risk of going to the well too many times, how much movement of
the shock changes camber; e.g.  each sixteenth of a inch of inboard
movement of the shock creates 2deg positive camber change (just an
example; I have no idea what the relation would be)?

Bob

On 6/28/2019 5:47 PM, Perry wrote:

> Bob
>
> If memory serves me correctly you will not have much trouble with the
> nuts.  Captive is not what I would call the nuts used to secure the
> shocks and shock buffer to the top plate.  There is not a cage or spot
> welds on the flats of the nuts.  I believe they are just resistance
> welded to the bottom surface of the top plate and the nuts will part
> ways with the plate fairly easily.
>
> Before someone figured out to adjust the camber with these plates we
> used to fix the stripped or missing shock mounting nuts by inserting a
> ½ inch steel plate with predrilled and threaded holes in the same
> location. It was easier than cutting off the entire top plate and
> rewelding it. Only had to cut the outboard edge off, insert plate and
> reweld.
>
> This was a long time ago, like 50 years. Feeling a bit old right now!
>
> Perry

> Windows 10
>
> *Sent: *Friday, June 28, 2019 8:09 PM
> *Subject: *[Healeys] Front Shock Camber Plates
>
> I recently acquired a set of these:
>
> https://tomsimport.com/category/new-parts/front-shock-plate/
>
> I'm not in immediate danger of installing them yet, but I'm starting to
>
> plan the operation.  I'll cut off the outer part of the mounts clean,
>
> elongate the holes, install the plates and weld the end sections back
>
> on.  My question, for anyone who's (successfully) done this--not
>
> necessarily the welding part--is: How did you remove the captive nuts
>
> and any remnants of the welds that held them?  It seems to me, if you
>
> don't clean off the welds then then plates won't sit flat on the
>
> underside of the shock mounts, and strength would be diminished.  I have
>
> no proof, but intuitively it seems these plates would strengthen the
>
> mounts, as the tension load on the four bolts would be spread across the
>
> plates--and a greater area of the mounts--instead of just being applied
>
> to the captive nuts.
>
> Bob

--------------EEB79E579A9BC0AE9928B12C

  <head>
  </head>
      movement of the shock changes camber; e.g.  each sixteenth of a
      inch of inboard movement of the shock creates 2deg positive camber
      change (just an example; I have no idea what the relation would
      be)?</p>
        medium)">
/* Font Definitions */
@font-face
        {font-family:"Cambria Math";
        panose-1:2 4 5 3 5 4 6 3 2 4;}
@font-face
        {font-family:Calibri;
        panose-1:2 15 5 2 2 2 4 3 2 4;}
/* Style Definitions */
        {margin:0in;
        margin-bottom:.0001pt;
        font-size:11.0pt;
        font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif;}
a:link, span.MsoHyperlink
        {mso-style-priority:99;
        color:blue;
        text-decoration:underline;}
a:visited, span.MsoHyperlinkFollowed
        {mso-style-priority:99;
        color:#954F72;
        text-decoration:underline;}
.MsoChpDefault
        {mso-style-type:export-only;}
@page WordSection1
        {size:8.5in 11.0in;
        margin:1.0in 1.0in 1.0in 1.0in;}
div.WordSection1
        {page:WordSection1;}
--></style>
          have much trouble with the nuts.  Captive is not what I would
          call the nuts used to secure the shocks and shock buffer to
          the top plate.  There is not a cage or spot welds on the flats
          of the nuts.  I believe they are just resistance welded to the
          bottom surface of the top plate and the nuts will part ways
          with the plate fairly easily. </p>
          camber with these plates we used to fix the stripped or
          missing shock mounting nuts by inserting a ½ inch steel plate
          with predrilled and threaded holes in the same location. It
          was easier than cutting off the entire top plate and rewelding
          it. Only had to cut the outboard edge off, insert plate and
          reweld. </p>
          Feeling a bit old right now! </p>
            href="https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=550986";
            moz-do-not-send="true">Mail</a> for Windows 10</p>
          style="mso-element:para-border-div;border:none;border-top:solid
          #E1E1E1 1.0pt;padding:3.0pt 0in 0in 0in">
            </b><a href="mailto:bspidell@comcast.net";
              moz-do-not-send="true">Bob Spidell</a><br>
            <b>To: </b><a href="mailto:healeys@autox.team.net";
              moz-do-not-send="true">Healeys</a><br>
href="https://tomsimport.com/category/new-parts/front-shock-plate/";>https://tomsimport.com/category/new-parts/front-shock-plate/</a></p>
          them yet, but I'm starting to </p>
          part of the mounts clean, </p>
          weld the end sections back </p>
          (successfully) done this--not </p>
          you remove the captive nuts </p>
          them?  It seems to me, if you </p>
          won't sit flat on the </p>
          would be diminished.  I have </p>
          plates would strengthen the </p>
          bolts would be spread across the </p>
          mounts--instead of just being applied </p>

--------------EEB79E579A9BC0AE9928B12C--

--===============0743232709670223488==