healeys

[Healeys] Ethanol / Octane

Subject: [Healeys] Ethanol / Octane
From: molony at dodo.com.au (Graeme Molony)
Date: Sun, 29 Jan 2017 11:52:16 +1100
Slightly off subject

We have a professional touring racing car series down here In Australia and New
Zealand called V8 Supercars.

The series which is run over race tracks rather than ovals like Nascar
comprises Ford,Holden (GM) Nissan
and Volvos all limited to 5 Litre capacity and developing around 650 hp and is
allegedly the most competitive
touring car series in the world  It is not uncommon to see 95% of the field
qualifying with less than a half a
second lap time difference and the remainder of the field being less than a
second slower than the lead car

Four or five years back the organisers decided to do the right thing by the
environment and mandated that the
only fuel that was to be used by these cars was E85 Ethanol

It took them a while to sort out the change from 100 Octane Gas that was
previously used to accommodate the use
of E85.

God they sounded awful at the first event of the season that I attended with
lots of run on backfiring etc. and the
mileage per gallon was well down. They finally got there heads around the
problem and the cars are faster
and more efficient than ever on the E85

So I guess there is hope for us all

Graeme Molony