healeys

Re: [Healeys] Battery terminal helmet connectors

To: "Len and/or Marge Hartnett" <thehartnetts@earthlink.net>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Battery terminal helmet connectors
From: Curtis Arndt <cnaarndt@gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 23 Aug 2014 17:22:11 -0700
Cc: AH Mail List <healeys@autox.team.net>
Michael,

The tube in the terminal is for a special cast lead terminal (auxiliary
lug) that inserts into the tube and is then attached to the wiring loom
with one wire (brown).  It's the power from the battery for the starter.
This lead lug was was a coned shape with a 90 degree extension on it where
the brown wire attached and the cone shaped lead piece fit (snugly) into
the hole in the battery terminal. Commonly they did not last and shorted
out, and they were simply replaced by a ring terminal to the battery
terminal lug.  This was a feature that was on the early Sprites (Bugeyes
and possibly MK IIs) which is why I'm so familiar with the subject.

In fact I'm looking for an NOS one of these for my '60 Bugeye.  They are
around as a buddy of mine found one several years ago.

Cheers,

Curt