healeys

[Healeys] Timing Basics

To: Healeys@autox.team.net
Subject: [Healeys] Timing Basics
From: "Eoin Galvin (eoingalvin)" <eoingalvin@cogeco.ca>
Date: Sat, 20 Jul 2013 18:22:54 -0400
Hi all
I have two questions that I need help with,I am sure they are very basic to
most of you but to me the novice well that's a different story.B
I have been trying to do a tune up on the car and am having no luck. Its a 54
BN1B Engine #1B214503M (I believe every thing is stock). My biggest mistake was
completely removing the distributor and not marking the exact location of the
shaft and rotor. After doing a bit of reading I realized I had to find TDC
now.B
In order to find TDC I made a pointer that fit into one of the timing chain
bolt holes close to the pulley (as per Don Hardie)
Q#1 B I believe I have now found T.D.C of cylinder #1 and made a mark on the
pulley.I now have to mark the pulley 6B0 (5/16 of a inch) before TDC . Where
should that mark go. B  I am looking at the pulley from the front of the car
with my mark at 12 O clock. Is it to the left or right ?
Q#2 How do I get the correct location to insert my distributor back in. I am
guessing with the TDC and the pointer lined up, the leading edge of the rotor
should just start touching the contact of lead #1 of the distributor cap. ???
I should mention the car was running before I started... just putting a little
soot out the exhaust. B  Ooh if I could only go back there :)
Any help would be appreciated.B
Eoin Galvin