healeys

Re: [Healeys] Overheating so hard that the carbs boil?

To: Tadeusz Malkiewicz <tadeusz.malkiewicz@plusnet.pl>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Overheating so hard that the carbs boil?
From: Alan Seigrist <healey.nut@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 9 Sep 2010 16:49:49 +0800
Tadek -

First try using a 180 or 160 deg thermostat, these cars originally did
not use 190+ thermostats.

When the engine was rebuilt, they possibly did not clean out all the
rust and scale in the water jacket. I would try power flushing the
engine block to start.  The 100 head is also prone to cracking (I
think between 2 and 3) and this may be your problem here.

It could be an indication of an over-shaved head.  The water jacket in
the head is at an angle, so when you "plane" the head too much, the
water jacket on the head no longer matches up cleanly with the water
jacket in the engine.

Do a compression check.  If all four cylinders are high (i.e.
something over 9:1 compression) then the head is shaved too much.  If
a couple of the cylinders are running low compression (you have to do
the test when the engine is hot), then you probably have a crack in
the head.

I suspect a crack in the head.

:(

Also... the exhaust header should be Jet-Hot coated :).

Both my 100 and A90 can spend all day in traffic, the 100 motor runs
much cooler than the 6 cyl motor, so something is definitely wrong.

Alan

On Thu, Sep 9, 2010 at 3:57 PM, Tadeusz Malkiewicz
<tadeusz.malkiewicz@plusnet.pl> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> A fellow 100 owner here in Poland had his car just restored, but the car
> overheats madly in traffic, so bad, that the 1st carb boils petrol (so he
> described). He has a new aluminum radiator, rebuild engine, old head. The
> temp goes to 230F, when cursing out of town it goes down to 190-200F.
>
> Any thoughts anyone?
>

> Tadek
Healeys@autox.team.net
Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html