healeys

Camber measuring instrument

To: "Healey List" <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: Camber measuring instrument
From: "Tracy Drummond" <bighealey@charter.net>
Date: Tue, 22 May 2007 06:32:15 -0700
I am adding some offset trunion bushes from Dennis Welsh.  How do others
measure camber?  I use a flat concrete floor and a magnetic "level" camber
meter "brand X".

I hope to achieve 0.75 to 1 degree negative.  My initial measurements
indicate some difference between right and left (before bushes).  Positive
1.5 degrees and about positive 0.75 which would explain uneven tire wear
(outside of tire with 1.5 degrees positive).  There is about 25K miles on
these tires.

I am thinking of crafting a device to clear the knockoff that would consist
of a piece of steel and two protrusions that would rest on the outermost
rim.  I would then stick the magnet on the steel.

I understand that the rotor is considered a valid place to take a camber
measurement but I can't get to it with the tire on.   Assume all
measurements are taken with car on ground resting on tires.

Tracy Drummond                  Gang Warily !

President AHCUSA              www.healey.org

VP/Events Director GGAHC  www.goldengatehealeys.com