healeys

RE: Broken Engine - 100 - tips

To: "'Alan Seigrist Blue 100'" <healey.nut@gmail.com>, "'Healey'"
Subject: RE: Broken Engine - 100 - tips
From: "Michael Salter" <msalter@precisionsportscar.com>
Date: Tue, 15 May 2007 06:56:39 -0400
Hi Alan,
Although the center cap can be removed reasonably easily, after removing the
pan and oil pump it is pretty difficult to remove either the front or rear
main cap because there are bolts which pass through the engine end plates
and thread into the caps themselves.
I have changed the crank in a 100S engine without removing the engine from
the car but when one considers that the front cover, timing chain, engine
front plate, oil pump, gearbox, clutch, flywheel, and engine rear plate have
to be removed, it really isn't worth the trouble.
I would however suggest that it is much more likely that you have spun a rod
bearing than a main and, if you caught it early enough, you may be able to
just change the rod bearings, although that too is pretty unlikely.

Michael Salter
100S (1955)
3000 Mk111(1965)
100 (1953)