healeys

Missing under load - problem solved

To: <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: Missing under load - problem solved
From: "Mick Vander Ploeg" <mvanderploeg@nc.rr.com>
Date: Sun, 17 Dec 2006 14:48:19 -0500
I've had an ongoing problem ever since the restoration was completed on my BN4
with rough running under load and at higher RPM.  I had tried
everything...played with the mixture & timing, looked for vapor lock problems,
replaced the coil, distributor cap, rotor, condenser, ignition cables, etc.
Nothing seemed to make an impact.  Finally, it dawned on me that the only
component on the entire car that was not rebuilt was the distributor itself.
So, a few weeks back, I pulled the distributor and sent it to Jeff Schlemmer
at Advanced Distributors.  Sure enough, it was in need of help.  Worn springs,
leaking vacuum advance diaphragm, play in the shaft, etc.  After a complete
rebuild, the distributor arrived back at the house looking like new.  I
installed in last weekend, adjusted the timing this morning, & took it out for
a drive on this beautiful 70 degree North Carolina afternoon.  It's like a
completely different car.  Smooth all the way through the entire RPM range &
no missing at all when under load.  I should've rebuilt the distributor when
the rest of the car was being brought back from the dead, but I thought it
looked fine & tried to save a few bucks.  Seems really stupid looking back,
especially since the cost of the distributor rebuild was a mere pittance
compared to the cost of the entire restoration.

If you've never used Jeff at Advanced Distributors, I'd highly recommend him.
Great communications, fast turnaround, and reasonable prices.  I wish I could
say the same of all of the vendors I used during the restoration.  Here's his
web site... http://www.advanceddistributors.com/

Mick Vander Ploeg
'57 BN4