healeys

Bodywork Question

To: healeylist <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: Bodywork Question
From: Bob Spidell <bspidell@comcast.net>
Date: Thu, 23 Feb 2006 06:04:21 -0800
Listers,

I'm doing bodywork--cut and replace--on the rear dogleg (lower front of
wing/fender)
area of my BJ8.  The lower dogleg is secured to the frame with two
screws at the very
bottom.  There is also a hole just under the first (only) bend from
vertical.   One side of my car
has a sheet metal screw in this hole--the two that secure the wing to
the chassis are machine
screws--whilst the other side has none.  Should there be a screw in this
hole (it hardly
seems necessary), or should it be open for drainage?  The latter makes
sense, since there
was a lot of rust in this area due to accumulated crud and water, but if
the sheet metal
screw is supposed to be there I shall apply one (the one sheet metal
screw has a
Posidrive head, so it may be original).

Bad ASCII art (as seen from edge of dogleg):

| <---bottom part of wing dogleg
\___
      | | <-- two machine screws to affix dogleg to lower sill
  ^
   |  location of hole, with sheet metal screw on one side, but not on
the other

TIA,
bs