healeys

Re: Radiator Cleaner?

To: "Taylor Maurer" <heavyhiking@hotmail.com>, <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Radiator Cleaner?
From: <pennell@cox.net>
Date: Wed, 22 Feb 2006 20:55:25 -0500
Taylor,

Yes, you could neutralize the acid with maybe half a cup of baking soda
followed by 2-3 flushes with water.  I would be OK simply with 3-4 flushes with
plain water.

One interesting note . . .
Alan I think it was sent us an article from a Jag person who writes and I quote
"I thought about buying a gallon jug of vinegar,
but it is mainly water and less than 5% acid. Instead, I went to a photo
supply and bought Kodak 28% acid, intended as a stop bath for film and
paper processing.
I drained my anti freeze, and flushed the system with water to get as
much antifreeze out as possible. I then added the 16oz bottle of acid to
a gallon bucket of water and poured that into the radiator,"

Well, according to my math diluting 28% from 16 ounces to 128 ounces works out
to 3.5% - less than the standard 5% concentration of acetic acid in vinegar!

I guess this explains why Jag owners would pay more money for a Jag when they
could have an equally good LBC in a Healey!!!  :) :) :)
No flames please.  Just poking harmless fun.

Keith Pennell