healeys

Cutting a hole in Distributor Cap!?

To: "'Austin-Healey List'" <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: Cutting a hole in Distributor Cap!?
From: "Simon Lachlan" <simon.lachlan@homecall.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 9 Feb 2006 14:31:26 -0000
I have heard of cutting a hole in the side of (spare) distributor caps in
order to observe the internal workings when the engine is running.looking at
the movements, vacuum advance etcetc.

Has anyone any experience of this? Seems to me that one worries about
getting a crack in these things.tracking issues etcetc, so that hacking a
hole in it may be fairly drastic, not to mention destroying a part which
isn't as cheap as it might be.

And how much would one see? All those little advances and retards are fairly
small movements aren't they? I wonder if one would actually see anything at
all?

And how big a hole did you cut and whereabouts on the poor cap did you
operate, Doctor? And did the patient work thereafter?

Simon Lachlan

Comfort House

Bradninch

Devon EX5 4NN