healeys

Re: gear crunch BT7

To: "Tim Newton" <timnewton@menziesgroup.com.au>
Subject: Re: gear crunch BT7
From: "John Rowe" <jarowe@westnet.com.au>
Date: Fri, 29 Jul 2005 07:57:41 +0800
Hi Tim

I don't think that these gear boxes were designed for rapid shifting. If
slower gear changing works OK then the synchros are Ok. As 1st and 2nd are
on the same shaft it is sometimes easier to pull the lever into 2nd to slow
the shaft down and then engage 1st.

This is exactly how the gear box behaves on my BT7.
In the days when these cars were built people generally changed down through
the gears using a double de-clutch method, particularly if changing down at
high revs and speeds.

The gear oil you use probably doesn't matter for the gears but may affect
the performance of the overdrive. SAE 30 was the original specification for
the gearbox oil. This is a non detergent oil that doesn't foam and pumps
properly through the overdrive unit. In Australia Valvoline 'running in oil'
is a straight 30 oil and is easily obtainable. Works just fine in my box.

regards fom West Oz

John Rowe