healeys

Re: Stuck clutch

To: Fred Wescoe <fredwescoe@earthlink.net>, <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Stuck clutch
From: Richard Hosmer <rahosmer@citlink.net>
Date: Sun, 03 Jul 2005 18:23:47 -0700
Fred,

I just went through it myself. My car had been laid up for 20 years, and
while I was finally able to break the clutch loose, it was NOT at all
reliable, and the clutch had to be rebuilt, If yours is a lesser case, you
might get by.

It is a nuisance to play around with. I assume you CAN get it into gear when
the engine is not running? Jumping the car in gear with the starter,
alternating between 1st and reverse, MIGHT be sufficient. It wasn't for me.

Since the car was in a small garage at the top of a fairly steep driveway,
different steps had to be taken than if a lot of level maneuvering room had
been available. I jacked mine car up at the rear on a GOOD pair of stands so
that I could run it in 4th, and slam on the brakes, while the clutch was
depressed. Ditto reverse. I removed the driveshaft tunnel (easy in a
tricarb) so that I could watch the drive shaft. After MANY tries, I finally
heard a bit of a thump, and realized that things had popped free, the engine
was revving in gear, but the driveshaft wasn't turning.

However, over the next couple of weeks, things went right only about 20% of
the time - I almost always had to do the "starter dance" each time I turned
it on. That would always work, but was clearly no good for the long haul.

So, best of luck, but you are PROBABLY looking at a new clutch. At 80K on
the original (it is a one-owner car), mine  was due anyhow, so I had no
complaints.

My engine (never touched) is still strong - in fact, as I'm getting used to
the shifter again, I surprised myself with a healthy 2nd-3rd chirp the other
day!