healeys

Friday funnies

To: <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: Friday funnies
From: "Allen C Miller, Jr." <acmiller@mhcable.com>
Date: Sun, 27 Feb 2005 11:05:44 -0500
This is a little tangential to the mail tug of war between the prudes and the
dudes, but I was wondering if it wouldn't help to
adopt some conventions to our list subjects. I have been using Outlook Express
to capture postings relating to 100-4's for example, by using the message
rules. Sometimes, however, a 100-4 related item skips by because one of the
key terms (BN1,BN2,BN-1,BN-2,100M,100-M or 100-4) is not contained in the
subject. If we adopted a convention where the subject contains the related
model, for example, all of your 100-4 positings would end up in my "AH100"
folder. I also receive the balance of autox.team.net in an "AH other models"
folder.

If most list members could follow these conventions, we each could set up your
own message rules... and they filter out in a certain sequence, so what gets
pulled off the conveyor belt on the first sort is not in the sort for the
second filter, and so on.

For example...

Sort #1 -- puts all autox.net messages with one of these terms
{BN1,BN2,BN-1,BN-2,100M,100-M or 100-4 } (substitute your model) into the
model specific folder(s) that interest you

Sort #2 - all friday humor content has "funnies" in the subject, and would go
to a folder that could either be block-purged by the prudes or read and
re-read by the dudes.

Sort #3 - "AH chassis" in the subject would put general inquiries about frame
components to "AH chassis" folder

Sort #4 - "AH paint" in the subject to a paint and finish related folder

Sort $5 - "AH engine"

Sort #6 - "AH transmission"

Sort #6 - "tech Q" would target experts on esoteric, but important technical
questions

and so on.

Senders who are interested in BN2 transmissions, for example, would capture
their messages if any of the following were in the subejct

      "BN2 tranny"  in the subject would put this message in my first folder
pertaining to 100-4's
      "100-4 transmission" would do the same
    "AH transmission 100-4" would come to my  subject folder, but would go to
someone else's "AH transmission" folder because they
                don't have a 100-4 specific folder.

The good thing about these conventions is that they are voluntary, and do not
require everyone to use them. For example, if you want to read it all, read it
all. If someone wants to target a specific focus group, and uses the correct
notation, his or her message will go to the folders that have been set up on
email stations according to the conventions, and will just pour into everyone
else's general inbox.

Merely a suggestion.