healeys

Re: Battery Cable & Shock Oil

To: "Ron Fine" <RonFineEsq@earthlink.net>, <Healeys@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: Battery Cable & Shock Oil
From: "62bt7" <62bt7@prodigy.net>
Date: Fri, 24 Dec 2004 08:06:18 -0800
Hey Ron,

Unless you are going for the concours effect, go to your local
welders supply store and purchase whatever length you need
of the following;

COLEMAN WIRE & CABLE CO.
1/0 AWG 600 VOLT WELDING CABLE 105oC  P-241-3-MSHA.
((o/d measures .590 " ))

Electrical cable is similar to a garden hose.
You can move only so much electrons/water (volume) through a given size
conveyance with so much pressure (12v).
When you try to move (demand) more electrons than the cable can handle,
things tend to warm up and SMOKE starts to appear/escape.

My experience has been that OEM cable was undersized, therefore causing
OEM starter to be slow in cranking the engine. All things Healey being equal
??
I went to a high-torque starter, speeds things up, like starting the engine.

Don't ask me how many strands, too many to count, but more than "61".

As to the Shocks, I would open them, drain and flush the 42 ++ year old oil,
just for drill. And while at it, install the 'heavy duty' valves.

An even better thought, that will eleminate future shock oil leakage and
improve the ride and handeling, is, purchase the Bilstein tube shock
conversion kit made by Udo Putzke.

Putzke's Fahrspass
13809 Eisenhower Ave
Poway, CA.  92064
(858) 486-3870
e-mail putzkes@cox.net
web putzkes-fahrpass.com
(no finacial interest, just a happy camper, I have them on my NastyBoy)

Kirk
M/C & HNY to ALL !!!!!