healeys

Re: Welders

To: healeys@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Welders
From: Jackson Krall <jackson_krall@yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 15 Dec 2004 16:34:05 -0800 (PST)
Patton,
 I've never used a plasma cutter or a tig. I've always
been satisfied with the oxy/acct, even before I bought
the Henrob, and was using conventional torches. You
don't have to spend a lot. The Henrob was bought on
e-bay for about $300. but you can put together a
conventional system for much less. The small "B" acct.
tanks, the kind plumbers use, have a way of turning up
at flea markets, and being left behind at construction
sites. At one time I had several. Same with the oxy.
Co2 fire extinguisher bottles can be converted to oxy.
The oxy tanks have to be pressure tested every few
years, but your gas supplier will handle that and can
do the conversions also.
 As far as all the fancy electric products go...I
don't need em. Too much money, too much stuff, takes
up too much space for something that you don't use
that often, unless your doing some serious production
work.
If you can only have one form of welder in your home
or small specialty shop, it has to be oxy/acct. I just
used it to free rounded hub nut on BN7. Didn't I just
read that the Healey's didn't get an electric welder
until the early 60's? Also, you will do less grinding
because you can finess the weld with oxy/acct and make
it smoother. And if the metal distorts from the too
much heat that you applied?!...You will learn how to
shrink it.
Best, JK

http://info.mail.yahoo.com/mail_250