healeys

Re: rear end growl continued

To: "Freese, Ken" <Ken.Freese@Aerojet.com>,
Subject: Re: rear end growl continued
From: Earl Kagna <kags@shaw.ca>
Date: Mon, 06 Dec 2004 20:01:49 -0800
Ken:

I've been following this - good advice from Mike Salter and Jim Leblanc -
you want to rule out prop shaft and gearbox/od unit before you pull the
diff.

>From your descriptions, my instinct says diff.  I agree with Dave Russel
that the pinion shims could be the problem - the seemingly excessive play
noted at the pinion flange would support this.  If you suspect this, do the
diagnosis before driving the car much more - once the crown / pinion gears
are run in this condition, (ie; without proper preload) they'll take a wear
set that will not be correctible - they'll likely run noisily even if you do
the fix.

This can be checked in the car.  If you wind up having to go that route, I'd
be willing to help with e-mail advice if you need it - done it before!

Earl Kagna
Victoria, B.C.
BT7 tri-carb
BJ8