healeys

Rubber Bits

To: <healeys@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Rubber Bits
From: "davidwjones" <davidwjones@cox.net>
Date: Sat, 23 Oct 2004 02:23:59 -0400
I haven't seen any discussion about this, so maybe I am having more trouble
with this than others.

One of the things I am noticing on my fairly newly restored car is the rapid
deterioration of a lot of the all-new rubber bits on the car. Some seem to
hold up, ok. While some have cracked badly already. Some are minor, like gauge
O-rings, others are either expensive, or a paint to replace, like steering
boots, or the rubber windshield post pads.
So, 3 main categories of question:

1.) Is there any one or two sources whose rubber reproduction parts hold up
better than from others?

2.) What environmental factors affect the deterioration rate of all of the
rubber bits? -Hot garage in summer? Cold garage in winter? Sun? Wind? Acid
rain? Meteor showers?

3.) Are any of the rubber "protectant" products really any good? -Armor all
etc? Any proof of function?

I never used to pay any attention to these things, plus the rubber seemed to
hold up better. Now, having been restored, the shredded rubber bits are
annoying and seem constant.
So I'm wondering if it can be prevented somehow, or is it just a necessity to
keep a note pad in the car to keep a running list of replacement rubber bits
needing to be ordered?

David W. Jones
'62 Mk II BT7 tricarb
Cumberland, RI USA