healeys

Re: Petronix

To: "davidwjones" <davidwjones@cox.net>, <Awgertoo@aol.com>,
Subject: Re: Petronix
From: "Greg Lemon" <glemon@neb.rr.com>
Date: Mon, 4 Oct 2004 20:30:43 -0500
I have run Ptronix on the last tow cars I owned for about 7 years total now
with no problems.  That being said as David Jones says a properly sorted
stock ignition system is pretty reliable as well.  A lot of the stories and
reputation of british cars comes from the days they were cheap used cars and
run on a shoestring with parts replaced only on an as needed basis (like me
running my Sprites while in college, for example)

I think grassroots motorsports or somebody did a "bolt on horsepower" test
using an MG engine or some such.  The petronix was one of the cheapest ways
to add a few HP.

When I installed the Petronix (1275 sprite and 100/4) I expected to get a
smoother idle, didn't get that in either case, but both cars seemed to have
a little more punch at higher revs.

I feel it is one less thing to worry about and a little better performance.
I like the Petronix because it all looks stock except the wiring is slightly
different, but there is no external unit.

Greg Lemon
54 BN1

Check out the new British Cars Forum: