healeys

Car Speakers / Electronics Qs

To: healeys@autox.team.net
Subject: Car Speakers / Electronics Qs
From: Blue One Hundred <international_investor@yahoo.com>
Date: Sun, 12 Sep 2004 07:32:46 -0700 (PDT)
Hi -

I just put a new Stereo in my BJ8 (an MP3/CD Kenwood
with a face that hides itself - very cool actually)...
anyway....

I have old Radio Shack Minimus 77 speakers in the car
- they are basically outdoor home audio speakers (8
ohms).  This means to run them I have to put a high
powered amp in the car.

As I started to look through the system, I realized
the woofer is shot and to be honest I don't want an
amp in the car to run these speakers anymore... but...
I want to keep the Minimus speaker box because they
fit so well in the healey.

My questions:

1) The speakers have a 4-1/2" woofer and tweeter.
There is some sort of electronic doohickey between the
power lead for the tweeter and the woofer.  The
doohickey says 50V, 4.7 mu F, and Bipolar.  If I
replace the woofer and the tweeter with more standard
4 Ohm Car speakers... do I still need to run some type
of doohickey between the power leads for the two
speakers?  Or should I make sure to get a 4-1/2"
woofer with an integrated tweeter and chuck the old
tweeter?

2) The speaker box is very rigid steel construction
and has some mohair-type insulation in it.  Do I leave
that in there if I change the speakers?

3) Should I drill a hole in the back of the speaker to
allow air displacement for the new woofer I intend to
buy?  If so is there any considerations or do I just
drill something about 1/2" in diameter somewhere and
call it a day?

I hope my questions aren't too stupid and I hope
someone has some good advice to share.

Thanks,

Alan

'53 BN1 '64 BJ8