healeys

Re: throttle linkage problem solved

To: Healeys <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: throttle linkage problem solved
From: bn1@pacbell.net
Date: Thu, 02 Sep 2004 01:07:20 -0700
Ron Davies wrote:

He jacked the car up and slid under while I played with my pedal at his command,
then slid back out in about a minute saying it was done. DONE! No charge. As if
that would placate me. It turns out that it was Moss part322-290, Bolt, lever to
pedal shaft. It's just below the rear carb near the exhaust manifold. The nut
below and out of sight was loose.  Congratulations to those that guessed right.
Your prize is to avoid a tow like I did yesterday.

About 25 years ago on a Healey oriented trip to New Zealand, myself and two
ladies were returning in the early AM from a party in a Hillman Hunter when the
throttle cable broke.  I was driving on the wrong side, in the middle of nowhere
and none of us in any shape to be standing beside the road with a vehicle.
Lacking any better ideas, I drove it home on the manual choke. Pull it out to
speed up, push it in to shift, repeat as necessary.  I bet you could do it in a
Healey, too.  Hey, I've seen stranger things like the old Coors can on the worn
splines trick. You've just got to be inventive to own a LBC!

Boy, we sure blew out a lot of black smoke the next morning when the cable was
replaced :-)

Bill Barnett
'53 BN1

Check out the new British Cars Forum: