healeys

Re: Lucas "helmet" battery terminals

To: RCT2BNC@aol.com
Subject: Re: Lucas "helmet" battery terminals
From: Dave & Marlene <rusd@velocitus.net>
Date: Mon, 26 Jul 2004 23:18:28 -0600
Hi Ben,

If you are determined to stay original, the helmet connectors are
obviously the way to go. The problem is that they rely on a taper fit &
only accommodate a very narrow range of helmet inside diameters & post
outside diameters & shapes. If the post doesn't have the exact same
taper as the helmet, there will still only be partial contact. If the
helmet has been stretched by overtightening or too large a post it will
never grip on it's sides, only the top surface makes contact. If the
posts on a replacement battery are slightly too small in diameter, same
problem. Every time you clean the connections the fit becomes slightly
looser.

In addition, you can't tell anything about the connection by inspection
since the helmet completely covers the post. A clue is if the helmet
goes all of the way on before meeting resistance, only the top is making
contact.  New connectors may fit more tightly or a different battery may
have slightly larger posts. In my opinion, these connectors are the
source of many British car reliability complaints. There are a number of
battery terminal greases available at auto supply shops to reduce corrosion.

If you want an always reliable connection, the standard conventional
clamps will accept a much wider range of post sizes. They should be
crimped to the cable ends or soldered, not bolt clamped. I anticipate
howls of protest from the technically correct crowd, but in my mind this
is a place where reliability comes first.

Dave Russell
BN2