healeys

Re: Hot Problem

To: "Healey List" <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Hot Problem
From: "M Lempert" <mlempert@bellsouth.net>
Date: Fri, 2 Jul 2004 21:35:30 -0400
I've been reading this thread with interest since it's a problem that I've
been wrestling with for some time with my BN2.  However, it appears not all
symptoms are the same, so while we're all having heat problems (cooling
problems) I'm inclined to believe that we might be experiencing them for
different reasons.

Some cars are having problems while moving while others only when stopped.
I had a BT7 that ran too hot only when the air temperature was extreme.  My
Bugeye (granted, a different class) never has a problem regardless.  My BN2
only has a problem while standing.  In May I drove it to and from Tampa, a
10 hour drive each way, in extreme heat.  The temperature had to have been
in the 90's.  Fortunately I encountered no traffic problems - very
fortunately.  My temp gauge stayed constant (while moving) at 170.

When I stop the temp immediately starts to rise and will go well over 200,
to a point where it experiences vapor lock.  The moment I start to move
again the temp responds downward rather quickly.  I think I may be onto
something, but first some more data.  I had asked my mechanic during one
visit to check out my cooling system.  He reported everything was fine and
the car never exceeds 190 degrees even after sitting at idle for some time.
I was puzzled yet happy to hear it.  When I arrived to pick the car up I
noticed he had the bonnet raised.  I hated to ask, but yes, he had it up
during his test.  Duh !  What I thought I learned was that the rising heat
in the engine compartment overcame the cooling system's ability.  I was
thinking of ways to exhaust the engine compartment.

While at the Southeastern meet in Tampa I listened to a few people talking
about the same problem.  A few people there had added shrouds at the sides
of their radiators.  The rational was that while sitting, the fan must suck
air through the radiator, and the fan will pull air from points of least
resistance.  Without the shrouds air will be pulled from the sides; with the
shrouds preventing that, the suction is greater in front of the fan
resulting in more air being pulled through the radiator.  Makes sense,
doesn't it ?

I noted that my car doesn't even have the top shroud, so air must be pulled
from all over, minimizing air flow through the radiator.

Now on another note, I read this on the E-Type list. I'm copying everything
so the author can get credit (or criticism) as merited.  Attached below...

Mike L.