healeys

Re: "Hot Replies"

To: John Snyder <helyjohn@cablespeed.com>
Subject: Re: "Hot Replies"
From: Bob Tarwater <btarh2o@earthlink.net>
Date: Fri, 02 Jul 2004 13:15:39 -0500
John,
 I went through a similar problem with my old Volvo P1800. So I
understand how frustrated you must be at this point and that changing
the fan seems the easiest way to attempt a cure, however if the fan and
air baffles on the two BT 7's are the same and one over heats at idle
and the other does not, then it seems likely that the problem is
something other than airflow. As others have suggested, it may be due to
restrictions in the flow of coolant in the block, head, hoses etc. These
may be minor and the water pump can overcome them at high rpm but not at
idle( just an uninformed guess).

I would certainly make the airflow modifications that you plan to do but
I would also look for another problem BEFORE changing the fan etc. as
they may cool things down and hide  the real cause of the over heating.

On the bright side, just think of the satisfaction you will have when
you solve the problem!

Bob Tarwater