healeys

Door striker mechanism query & ignition light solution

To: healeys@autox.team.net
Subject: Door striker mechanism query & ignition light solution
From: Simonlachlan@aol.com
Date: Sat, 26 Jun 2004 15:25:13 EDT
Thank you for all the help re. the ignition light. I wasn't going to  cut the
wires to gain access to the bulb holder as someone thought! I squirted  "Duck
Oil" into the holder, left it for 24 hours and screwid the bulb right  out.
The bulb's filament was OK, but the contact at the end was a bit tired  and
flat. As a new one didn't work either, I extended the contact with solder  and
hey presto!

So, this seems to be a period when my 3000 is giving me a lot of  niggling
worries. Now, it's the driver's (RHS in UK) door. All of a sudden  it won't
shut.
The plate on the door seemed to have migrated a few mm, but I had it marked
from a time when I had to remove it. So, I put it back. Still no  good.
The exterior handle feels stiff and the visible catch in the door barely
moves.
Is there a collective wisdom as to what normally goes wrong with the door
mechanism? Are there "usual faults" and "can't miss it, once you've been there"

issues here?
The flat(tish) metal connector between the interior handle and the catch
feels a bit iffy. I haven't seen it yet.
So, what do you think?
 Simon.