healeys

Road to Conclave

To: Orbittor@aol.com, BogiStogi@aol.com, TonyOnboard@aol.com, NSR@adorno.com,
Subject: Road to Conclave
From: Awgertoo@aol.com
Date: Tue, 15 Jun 2004 20:19:18 EDT
I drove down Spearfish Canyon Road and took 385 west of Rapid City, passing
by both Mount Rushmore and Crazy Horse Monuments along the way.  Great driving
and, needless to say, wonderful vistas.  From there I exited the Black Hills
at Hot Springs and stayed on 385 into Nebraska.   After a short detour east at
Alliance to visit Carhenge (see below) I continued south and west in Colorado
with Denver as a possible destination.  The weather, however, had different
plans and I pulled off for the night at Brush, Colorado to get out of the
forecast heavy rain and possible hail.

Everyone knows about Mount Rushmore and Crazy Horse so I won't attempt to
describe them--but the word "impressive" and "worth the drive" would certainly
be
appropriate.
"Carhenge" is one of those funky roadside attractions that I had read about
and just couldn't pass up.  A google search will give full information but it
is just outside the small town of Alliance.  Perhaps 30-40 cars are half-buried
with others sitting on top of them in a general arrangement of Stonehenge.
There's no admission charge and no one was selling T-shirts--just a sign
describing it as an automotive art display or something like that.  It's
definitely
worth a visit if you're travelling the area.

The country has definitely hardened up, flatter than in the Dakotas and
pretty arid, though where the North and South Platte River Valleys were like
green
fingers travalling east-west across the landscape.

That's it for the day.
Best--Michael