Data Acquisition -- missing the point?

To: geez@autox.team.net
Subject: Data Acquisition -- missing the point?
From: Mark Sirota <msirota@isc.upenn.edu>
Date: Mon, 10 Apr 2000 11:44:23 -0400
I am in full agreement with Byron Short and Dr. Bob Woods regarding
data aquisition, whether it's Geez!, video, or Pi Systems.  They should
be 100% legal, provided you don't need to make any illegal modifications
to the car in order to install them.  And as Byron said, they should be
explicitly prohibited from mechanically assisting the driver in
real-time.

However, a big part of the original discussion in SportsCar was using
the information to show drivers who have not yet seen the course(s).
At Nationals, for example, watching someone's video of the course before
you run is clearly an advantage, and one that is not accessible to
everyone.  You have to know someone who ran already, who took video,
who will show it to you.  Is this fair?

I think it's not fair, but I also think it's impossible to prevent,
and thus needs to remain legal.

I will write a letter.

Mark