fot

Re: [Fot] Bastuck Dog Box. Replacement Parts. Gears.

To: <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Fot] Bastuck Dog Box. Replacement Parts. Gears.
From: Chris Marx via Fot <fot@autox.team.net>
Date: Tue, 21 Nov 2023 00:37:11 +0100
Hi Guys,

just saying, try to help.

A remark about dogboxes and the wear.
I use mine now for about 13 year in a row and serviced it 2020.
All parts look like new still after this long time.
I use a 140 weight GL4 oil in that box.

To minimize wear on such a gearbox:
Shift quick. As quick as possible. The more lever speed and force, the less
wear on the dogrings.
They hate sluggish shifting and do even hate more blipping the throttle on
shifts.
A dogbox want brutal action - quick and firm.
You even can shift without the clutch if needed. I do hat rarely.
To explain that type of up shifting:
Hold the lever to the next year, as soon you want to shift, go off throttle
and on again...done.
Some people run the engine into the rev-limiter so the rev-limiter can do
the cutout of the engine for you instead of your foot.

But I don't like that type of shifting as it is hard on the drivetrain. The
parts in these old engines are too heavy.
That is something for lightweight race engines of modern style.

Cheers
Chris