fot

Re: [Fot] Best head gasket revisited

To: fot@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Fot] Best head gasket revisited
From: Tony Drews via Fot <fot@autox.team.net>
Date: Sat, 24 Oct 2020 23:30:34 -0500

--------------3FD47FBEFE7A39A671D099EB

I use the Cometic 91mm gasket.  I've purposely NOT taken more out of the
intake pocket since it already goes way outside the bounds of the liner
- I just took the sharp edges off to keep from getting a hot spot.

The Cometic does intrude into the combustion chamber next to the intake
valve but not by very much.

I also make sure to not relieve the liner outside the bounds of the fire
ring in the gasket so it's supported on at least one side and can pass
the heat to the liner.  I don't blow head gaskets, but I also don't run
one for more than 2 seasons, normally for just one season.

Regards, Tony

On 10/24/2020 8:25 PM, Joe Boruch via Fot wrote:
> I was not receiving list emails for a while, so I missed the
> conversation a few months ago.
>
> For those of you using the composite or even Cometic gaskets, have you
> done much relieving around the intake valves?  I have not found any
> such gasket that would not protrude out into the combustion chamber.
> I even bought one from BPNW that was good for up to 92mm bore, but it
> still protruded.  I have been using steel shim head gaskets with
> copper wire o-rings in the fire rings, but would like a simpler set
> up.  I have held off on putting my TR3 engine back together for years
> (while playing with S2000s and Miatas) waiting for a better head
> gasket.  Joe B

--------------3FD47FBEFE7A39A671D099EB

  <head>
  </head>
      of the intake pocket since it already goes way outside the bounds
      of the liner - I just took the sharp edges off to keep from
      getting a hot spot.</p>
      intake valve but not by very much.</p>
      the fire ring in the gasket so it's supported on at least one side
      and can pass the heat to the liner.  I don't blow head gaskets,
      but I also don't run one for more than 2 seasons, normally for
      just one season.<br>
      Fot wrote:<br>
      cite="mid:1299630452.267111.1603589114762@mail.yahoo.com">
        Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif;font-size:13px;">
          emails for a while, so I missed the conversation a few months
          ago. </div>
          composite or even Cometic gaskets, have you done much
          relieving around the intake valves?  I have not found any such
          gasket that would not protrude out into the combustion
          chamber.  I even bought one from BPNW that was good for up to
          92mm bore, but it still protruded.  I have been using steel
          shim head gaskets with copper wire o-rings in the fire rings,
          but would like a simpler set up.  I have held off on putting
          my TR3 engine back together for years (while playing with
          S2000s and Miatas) waiting for a better head gasket.  Joe B</div>
      <pre class="moz-quote-pre"
wrap="">_______________________________________________
<a class="moz-txt-link-abbreviated"
href="mailto:fot@autox.team.net";>fot@autox.team.net</a>