fot

Re: [Fot] Center main support

To: Tony Drews <tony@tonydrews.com>
Subject: Re: [Fot] Center main support
From: Phil Gott via Fot <fot@autox.team.net>
Date: Sat, 23 Nov 2019 06:42:46 -0500
Cc: Friends Of Triumph <fot@autox.team.net>

--Apple-Mail-BEA57FC9-1A89-414E-8F2D-F1B133EA12E7
        charset=utf-8

Thanks again, Tony:
The one we have, built by the late Bill  Throop, in addition to reinforcing t=
he cap itself, has the block machined internally to accept the sides of a st=
rap, then the strap  is cross bolted from the sides, through the block from o=
utside.  I=E2=80=99m wondering if this is a bit of overkill. Based on your r=
ecommendation, it seems to be.
Maybe I can send some pictures later today, as we are pulling the engine tod=
ay for other work.
Phil

Sent from my iPhone

> On Nov 22, 2019, at 10:56 PM, Tony Drews <tony@tonydrews.com> wrote:
>=20
> =EF=BB=BF
> I run that setup, it was an uncle jack trick.  Here's what he wrote about t=
hat (on my engine building tips page):
>=20
> "I also like to strap the center main to add rigidity to the bottom end.  T=
o do this, mill off the cast face of the main flush with the surfaces for th=
e head bolts. Get a front strap for a Chevy 400 block. You must enlarge the h=
oles in the strap  and you must use longer bolts.  Some  builders feel that t=
his is totally unnecessary, but since starting to do this, I have never had a=
 main bearing deteriorate faster than a rod bearing, which is something that=
 happens more frequently than you would expect."
>=20
> Regards, Tony Drews
>=20
> On 11/22/2019 3:58 PM, Phil Gott via Fot wrote:
>> Has anyone seen the need to add extra support to the center main on the T=
R wet sleeve engine? We have an engine that has a steel bridge cross-bolted u=
nderneath and supporting the center main cap. Is this needed? Just took 3 fa=
ctory cranks to the machine shop and all three were bent about .002 in (.002=
 run out at center main when supported on first and last mains.) Two of thes=
e were raced, the third was removed from a tired street engine. note: None o=
f these cranks came out of the engine with extra support at the center.
>> Curious as to the need for the extra support.
>> Thanks,
>> Phil Gott
>> 114 TR4A
>>=20
>> Sent from my iPhone
ews.com
>>=20
>>=20
>>=20

--Apple-Mail-BEA57FC9-1A89-414E-8F2D-F1B133EA12E7
        charset=utf-8

ilt by the late Bill &nbsp;Throop, in addition to reinforcing the cap itself=
, has the block machined internally to accept the sides of a strap, then the=
 strap &nbsp;is cross bolted from the sides, through the block from outside.=
 &nbsp;I=E2=80=99m wondering if this is a bit of overkill. Based on your rec=
ommendation, it seems to be.</div><div>Maybe I can send some pictures later t=
e type=3D"cite">On Nov 22, 2019, at 10:56 PM, Tony Drews &lt;tony@tonydrews.=
"ltr">=EF=BB=BF
 =20

 =20
 =20
      wrote about that (on my engine building tips page):</p>
        Arial, sans-serif; font-size: medium; font-style: normal;
        font-variant-ligatures: normal; font-variant-caps: normal;
        font-weight: 400; letter-spacing: normal; orphans: 2;
        text-align: left; text-indent: 0px; text-transform: none;
        white-space: normal; widows: 2; word-spacing: 0px;
        -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px; background-color: rgb(255, 255,
        255); text-decoration-style: initial; text-decoration-color:
        initial; display: inline !important; float: none;">"I also like
        to strap the center main to add rigidity to the bottom end.&nbsp; To=

        do this, mill off the cast face of the main flush with the
        surfaces for the head bolts. Get a front strap for a Chevy 400
        block. You must enlarge the holes in the strap&nbsp; and you must us=
        longer bolts. &nbsp;Some&nbsp; builders feel that this is totally
        unnecessary, but since starting to do this, I have never had a
        main bearing deteriorate faster than a rod bearing, which is
        something that happens more frequently than you would expect."</span=
      Fot wrote:<br>
5A@aol.com">
      <pre class=3D"moz-quote-pre" wrap=3D"">Has anyone seen the need to add=
 extra support to the center main on the TR wet sleeve engine? We have an en=
gine that has a steel bridge cross-bolted underneath and supporting the cent=
er main cap. Is this needed? Just took 3 factory cranks to the machine shop a=
nd all three were bent about .002 in (.002 run out at center main when suppo=
rted on first and last mains.) Two of these were raced, the third was remove=
d from a tired street engine. note: None of these cranks came out of the eng=
ine with extra support at the center.
Curious as to the need for the extra support.
Thanks,
Phil Gott
114 TR4A

Sent from my iPhone
<a class=3D"moz-txt-link-abbreviated" href=3D"mailto:fot@autox.team.net";>fot=
@autox.team.net</a>

<a class=3D"moz-txt-link-freetext" href=3D"http://www.fot-racing.com";>http:/=
/www.fot-racing.com</a>

e.html">http://www.team.net/donate.html</a>
Archive: <a class=3D"moz-txt-link-freetext" href=3D"http://autox.team.net/ar=
chive">http://autox.team.net/archive</a> <a class=3D"moz-txt-link-freetext" h=
ref=3D"http://www.team.net/pipermail/fot";>http://www.team.net/pipermail/fot<=
/a>
team.net/mailman/options/fot/tony@tonydrews.com">http://autox.team.net/mailm=
an/options/fot/tony@tonydrews.com</a>

</pre>
 =20

--Apple-Mail-BEA57FC9-1A89-414E-8F2D-F1B133EA12E7--

--===============1250841391129198996==

fot@autox.team.net

http://www.fot-racing.com

--===============1250841391129198996==--