fot

Re: [Fot] [TR] TR-2/3 Starter Question

To: "'Wbeech@flash.net'" <wbeech@flash.net>
Subject: Re: [Fot] [TR] TR-2/3 Starter Question
From: Randall via Fot <fot@autox.team.net>
Date: Thu, 17 Oct 2019 20:24:22 -0700
Cc: Fot <fot@autox.team.net>
AFAIK (which isn't very far), 549-580 is a reproduction of the original
bonded rubber part.  Should work fine, on a stock 83mm motor.

I was talking about the improved "fail-safe" design, that I believe Ken
actually had designed and manufactured for BFE to sell.  Rather than relying
on a bond between rubber and metal, it had a series of tabs welded inside,
with polyurethane (or similar) cushions between the tabs.  Even if the poly
failed, the tabs would hit each other and still allow the engine to be
started.

The engine I was running at the time had 87mm liners, and while the target
CR was 10.5:1, I suspect it came out substantially higher somehow.  I
probably made a mistake on my math.  Anyway, I couldn't run it on pump gas,
and learned a lot about the effectiveness of various "octane improvers".  I
tore up several of those bonded rubber drives, before asking Ken if he knew
a better way.  Even tore up one of the fail-safe replacements (which Ken
replaced for free) before finally switching to a gear-drive starter.

-- Randall
56 TR3 TS13571L once and future daily driver
71 Stag LE1473 - awaiting engine rebuild
71-2-3 Stag - awaiting gearbox rebuild

fot@autox.team.net

http://www.fot-racing.com