fot

Re: [Fot] SCCA Road America & HProd Spitfire Excitement

To: "chris crisenbery" <spitracer1296@yahoo.com>, "FoT Triumph" <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Fot] SCCA Road America & HProd Spitfire Excitement
From: "Rocky Entriken" <rocky@spitfire4.com>
Date: Fri, 2 Aug 2013 17:56:41 -0500
Wow! As a dedicated regional-race Spitfire backmarker, I'll sympathize.

I've never had the shaft fail like that -- been driving mine (street, then
race & autox) since 1966, race-prepped in '71 -- but I've had that knuckle
that connects the shaft to the rack & pinion fail a couple of times, and it
was loose again when I was prepping for my one foray into National racing
and the 2011 Runoffs. So there's a nice shiny new (2 years old now) one in
there now.

Most interesting failure was on an airport circuit at Hutchinson, Ks., where
it failed early on the 2nd lap of the race and I found by steering really
gently I might nurse it back to the pits. I'd started 3rd and had quickly
dropped to 7th. Well on that nurse-it-back lap I found if I didn't jerk the
wheel I could make it turn -- what is it they tell novices about smooth hand
movements? -- so I tried another lap. Then another. And began picking up
positions. The only corner I really had to give up was the second half of a
quick left-right chicane. Last lap I was up to 4th coming into the final
turn and the car in 3rd had gone off and was doing his airport loop to come
back on. "Car, you WILL make this turn!" I said, and it did, and I got my
3rd place back. In the paddock the car would turn no more. Had to put a jack
under it to line it up with my trailer so I could push it on.

I classify it now as one of those incredibly stupid things we do when we
squeeze our brain with a helmet. But still fun.

My one visit to RA was fun too, start DFL, finish 11th in the wet, and an
experience that let me relate more to (and enjoy) your description. I know
you'll do better than that in September and raise the Triumph flag high.
Good luck.

--Rocky Entriken