fot

Re: [Fot] VENUE PROPOSALS FOR KASTNER CUP-2011 IMPORTANT FOR

To: Friends of Triumph <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Fot] VENUE PROPOSALS FOR KASTNER CUP-2011 IMPORTANT FOR
From: Tony Drews <tony@tonydrews.com>
Date: Thu, 15 Jul 2010 01:13:07 -0500
I prefer historic tracks to new tracks.

I prefer a location that isn't known for rain (like Portland is), and
has a decent chance of not being blazingly hot (like Kansas is likely to be).

The only west coast track I've driven was Portland.  I have a
personal goal of driving Laguna Seca at least once in my life, but
Sears Point looks cool too.

If I'm going to tow for 8 days for 3 days of racing, I want the track
to be something special.

In my half of the country my favorite tracks are
Mosport
VIR
Road America
Road Atlanta

These are historic tracks with corners that make you say "hmm" (or
Holy S*** Batman!)

I've never driven Lime Rock but it would be an eastern candidate for
2012.  Watkins Glen was cool but we've run there recently.

2nd tier tracks would be
Hallett
Grattan

We did a TR / MG challenge during the SARS scare that kept folks away
at Mosport, and we did a Morgan / TR challenge at Road America.  We
also have had an all Triumph group at Road Atlanta.  The April VDCA
race at VIR is becoming my favorite event of the year, but is pretty
early for some.  Low key, tons of track time, a great bunch of
Triumph guys there already, awesome facilities...

I'm not a big fan of the new country club tracks - they seem soulless
and while they make for fun driving they generally don't seem to make
for good racing - it's hard to pass when you have bunches of
combination corners.

Tony Drews
fot@autox.team.net

http://www.fot-racing.com