fot

[Fot] Autocross Weekend

To: fot@autox.team.net
Subject: [Fot] Autocross Weekend
From: robertten1@aol.com
Date: Mon, 05 Oct 2009 11:32:27 -0400
Amici,

As an autocrosser I thought I 'd pass along my weekend experience that I shared
with a fellow autocrosser here in New England.

Cheers,
Bob T
'64 Spitfire GT? autocrosser

So I had a full weekend of autocrossing
starting with the local Miata club on a wet Saturday.? There weren't any
downpours till the very end of the afternoon runs but the surface was
wet none the less, with several spots with standing water.? My Toyo's
finally started to shine once I found that 8 lbs. less of air was the
trick.? I found lots of grip and only had to be careful in the tight
turn arounds.? Even the event chair was surprised how well I was doing.? Its the
best I ever felt behind the wheel in the wet, very confident in the
car.? So, yes I had very low times, not as good as top driver in the HondaCRX
in my class,
and I did hit a few cones in the process but that's the price to find a quicker
time.? To top off a great day of racing I won the raffle, a
$50.00 Shell Gas Card, yahoo!? This paid for all my travel gas for the
weekend plus.

So after a wet and cold Saturday, I ventured out on Sunday to Hartford,
CT, for the Jaguar Club of Southern New England's 2nd Annual Slalom.?
Needless to say the day got better and better weather wise.? The club has use
of a great lot that is more than adequate for the Jag course with tons
of run off area everywhere.? There was some grumbling that the surface
was damp but Jag owners had this second chance to do well as far as
JCNA National Times in their respective classes .? Got to see some familiar
faces and
saw some interesting cars.? Gary was there with his silver E-Type minus
the graphics, there were a couple Healey 3000's, a problem bound '62
Lotus 7 ( a real Lotus ),? Ray Zeza with a nice former World Challenge
Corvette ( a Kim Baker car ) and the usual mix of Jag's and others that
we see at the JANE events.? People were having a good ole time turning
in good times for their particular group.? I was still on my Toyo's
running about 2 lbs extra in them, seems to be the answer for these
tight tight courses too.? Yes, I'm fially back in the 40 second range, after a
few years in the 41 to 42 second range, I have reached my
goal.? I believe I ended up second in Class Z behind Ray's Corvette,
sorry I can't remember his best time ( 39 or 38 ??? ).? Gary said he
wished he had his race tires cause he was stuck in the 42's on street tires,
but admits that was good times for the tires.? Forgot to mention Jim
was there with his monster Race V12 E-Type but suffered a water pump
pulley failure on the co-drivers first run ( 40.3 )? Jim never got to
make a second competitive run.

All in all it was a great race weekend, ran alot, learned alot and
achieved alot.? I'm a very happy camper indeed!? One race weekend left
and I hate to say it ... winter solstace.

Cheers mate,

Bob T