fot

[Fot] Tilton Clutch Adventures (Chapter 1)

To: fot@autox.team.net
Subject: [Fot] Tilton Clutch Adventures (Chapter 1)
From: WEmery7451@aol.com
Date: Sat, 9 Feb 2008 16:46:46 EST
Dear FOT,

(The moderator monster refused to let my dissertation go through.  I will try
to send it in two chapters.)

About fifteen years ago, I bought a Tilton aluminum flywheel/clutch system
from Dave Webber of Melvern Racing.  This clutch setup has worked flawlessly
through many rebuilds and engine blowups until recently, when I did something
stupid.  I did not change the driven disc in time.  The lining disappeared from
the driven disc causing the clutch to slip, resulting in the pressure plate
heating and warping.

My machinist told me that he could get another pressure plate from a
warehouse, which he did.  We installed the clutch, and struggled the
transmission back
into the car.  After starting the car on jack stands the clutch shifted
several times and then quit working.

Out with the transmission again, and the ears on the pressure plate were
bent.  They had caught on the little buttons in the faceplate.  At that time, I
figured that the machinist had furnished me with the wrong pressure plate (much
lighter than my original pressure plate).

After contacting both Tilton and their main supplier, Taylor Engineering; I
learned much to my discouragement that I had Tilton's updated modern pressure
plate, which has replaced the heavier one.  Both Taylor and Tilton told me that
I was bending the ears when I installed the pressure plate.  If this were
true, why did the clutch shift several times and then quit working?  I had also
installed the heavier pressure plate many times down through the years and
never bent the ears on it.

I asked Taylor if they could furnish me with the previous heavier pressure
plate.  After looking around their shop and not finding one, I was told that
the
only way they were able to get this heavier pressure plate in the past for
customers was to order it from other distributors who might happen to have one.

The last time that they tried, they couldn't get one.  This seems to indicate
that other people were having the same problems with that new flimsy pressure
plate.

I have been using the stock throw-out bearing, which was used with the stock
diaphragm Triumph clutch.  This bearing is bigger in diameter than the bearing
recommended by Tilton.  I had found out years ago that Jack Wheeler was using
this bearing, so I continued on using it.  Both Tilton and Taylor told me
that it was acceptable to use this bearing.  It just made a difference in how
hard you had to push the pedal.  (Continue to Chapter 2)

<BR><BR><BR>**************<BR>Biggest Grammy Award surprises of all time on
AOL Music.<BR>
(http://music.aol.com/grammys/pictures/never-won-a-grammy?NCID=aolcmp00300000002548)</HTML>