fot

Re: [Fot] EGT readings

To: "Barr, Scott" <sbarr@McCarty-Law.com>, fot@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Fot] EGT readings
From: <d.hesse@charter.net>
Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2007 14:08:41 -0700
Scott, I'm not sure if this is comparable or not but on my Sprites I'd have the
probes 6 inches from the exhaust valve center. Under full load at the end of
the straight I'd be looking for about 1250 degrees. That always seemed to be
the sweet spot in performance and seems to be what the better National SCCA
guys where seeing/doing with theirs. In the shop I'd see about 1000 at about
3000rpms.
Now remember, I'm new to Triumphs so none of that may matter. I'll definitely
be checking with the TR3/4 guys when the EGTs are installed in the Ambro.
Dave Hesse
Ambro build ARE-003

---- "Barr wrote:

=============
Dad just finished installing an EGT in my Spitfire (very handy,
retirement). At about 2,500 to 3,000 revs (no load) we're seeing temps
of 1000 degr. at the front probe and 1250 degr. at the rear probe.
We're looking for an air leak at this point, naturally.

But what is "normal" for exhaust gas temps? I'm assuming that the 1250
degr. is pretty high for not being under load or at full revs.

The probes are approximately 1.5 inches down the header tubes from the
head, if that makes a difference to anyone.

Scott B.
d.hesse@charter.net
Fot mailing list
Fot@autox.team.net