fot

Bill Ames / Ambro photos

To: <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: Bill Ames / Ambro photos
From: "mordy dunst/ gasket works" <gasket.works@verizon.net>
Date: Wed, 11 Aug 2004 18:28:29 -0700
http://fot-racing.com/historic/index.html  Fourth row down

Thanks to Don Elliot who wrote the following ....

"The only time I met Bill was in 1996 at Mt. Tremblant, Quebec, about 100
miles north of Montreal.  Mt. Tremblant is the track where they held the
Canadian Formula 1 Grand Prix for years, alternating every other year with
Mosport which is located about 100 miles northeast of Toronto.

Bill had trailered his Ambro up from Elizabethtown, New York about 100 miles
south of Montreal.

I didn't get any photos of Bill on the track and then he suddenly told me he
wouldn't be going out again because, as he put it, "The track is too rough."
I think that the track was more than Bill could handle as he was suffering
from terminal cancer at the time.

For his date of birth and death, I suggest you ask Ken Gillanders.  Maybe Joe
Alexander would be able to find out from Bill's son who re-did the Ambro in
dark blue.  Ken went to see Bill with Helen in about 1997 in New York and I
think Bill died soon after that.  Bill bought lots of parts from Ken.

The present owner of this Ambro was at the TR races in June at ViR and if
anyone knows his e-mail address, would you forward these photos to him because
I heard that he wants to restore it in the Green and Yellow colors.

There was an amusing note painted in white on the rear deck (barely visible in
Photo 5) on the yellow stripe just above the "TRIUMPH" emblem.  It read,
"Sponsored by the Geriatrics Society - Funded by Old Age Security".

All the Green/Yellow Ambro photos courtesy of Don Elliott, 1958 TR3A, Montreal
(1996)
Robert Ames Blue Ambro photo (same car) courtesy of Joe Alexander, Jack Drews
and Kent Howard. - (about 2001)"

Thanks for sharing

M. Dunst