fot

Re: Brake Fluids

To: Bill Babcock <BillB@bnj.com>
Subject: Re: Brake Fluids
From: Ted Schumacher <tedtsimx@bright.net>
Date: Wed, 09 Jun 2004 16:07:52 -0400
In the earlyn '70's Group 44 and ourselves, amongst others in different
forms of racing, did some early silicon brake fluid testing for Dow
Corning.  The brake fluid worked well.  As Dow progressed, the viscosity
of the fluid became lower.  The very early fluid was "relatively" thick.
 We ran this for a 2 or 3 year.  Every batch got better and seemed to
have no adverse results to the hydraulic components.  This was a current
race car so the brakes may have been checked more often (and we didn't
have to pay for the fluid).  We worked with the Dow Corning product
engineer  so we had access to any problems, feedback, etc.  As the
silicon became more popular, several companies jumped on the bandwagon.
 Some of the silicon fluids sold,including those sold tothe racing
community, were in the smake oil end of the spectrum.   Dow finally
dropped the program, probably due to bean counters ooking at potential
sales vs cost. FYI, Ted

--
Ted Schumacher
tedtsimx@bright.net