fot

Re: exhaust size

To: 19to1tr6@mediaone.net, kaskas@earthlink.net, RJunkermei@aol.com,
Subject: Re: exhaust size
From: WEmery7451@aol.com
Date: Thu, 13 Dec 2001 15:26:17 EST
In a message dated 12/12/01 8:45:16 PM Pacific Standard Time,
19to1tr6@mediaone.net writes:

<< Would you mind explaining what you did again I am interested in bring my
 pipe threw the rocker pannel by passing it threw the frame but I can't
 understand  what you did<  also where and at what hight does the pipe exite
 from  under the car ?   whats the aprox. lenght of your  pipe from header to
 exit ?   thanks rob
 - >>

I just followed the original path where the stock exhaust system went on the
TR-3's, only it is approximately the length that Kas specifies in his book.
It doesn't exit the car, but stays underneath.  I use the original clamp that
held the stock exhaust system in place where the two frame members cross.

There is already a hole in the frame at this location.  About one foot down
stream of this hole towards the back of the car, I installed a piece of strap
metal with my buzz-box, spanning the two frame members.  Two holes were then
drilled in this metal, and one half of an exhaust clamp bolts the pipe to
this added support.

Originally, the Tech Inspectors were bitching about the pipe being under the
fuel tank.  My answer was that there was a big empty spare tire space between
the fuel cell in the trunk and the exhaust pipe.  Nobody has questioned it in
the past two decades.

Some of the superstars, who have found pancake shaped fuel cells to fit in
the spare tire space, would have to run the exhaust out of the side of the
car.