fot

Re: IRP incident

To: "Jack W. Drews" <vinttr4@geneseo.net>
Subject: Re: IRP incident
From: "Michael D. Porter" <mporter@zianet.com>
Date: Tue, 09 Oct 2001 05:38:47 -0600
"Jack W. Drews" wrote:

> Rick Gurolnick and I were having a wonderful race. More wonderful for
> him than for me, because I was chasing but couldn't pass him -- he's too
> good.
>
> As we came through the hairpin we were lapping the rear of the field,
> and as we were about to pass the red Turner driven by Steve Garrett, it
> suddenly reared up and rolled twice. Joe's pictures capture it well, and
> our in-car camera (and Steve's) should provide good documentation on
> what happened.
>
> When I pulled off I could see that the driver was not moving and was
> slumped over, and Tony is right -- perception of time is all screwed up
> at a time like this. When I stopped I could see him in my rearview
> mirror and I couldn't comprehend why it was taking the workers so long
> to get to him. It then  seemed that it took me several minutes to get
> out of my belts. When I got to Steve he was just coming to, I kept him
> from moving hes head, and about a half hour later the emergency guys got
> there. Of course, the whole sequence of events really took less than two
> minutes.

Regardless of Jack's reservations about his hesitation, the observations
of others tell the truth. Jack was at the front of the fray and
thrashing, but stopped to help. It says something about the difference
between professional racing and amateur racing, and particularly,
vintage racing. Fun, competitive, and intense, but not without
consideration for the health and welfare of others when things get bent
out of shape. The cold-hearted and prize-driven would have gone by
someone in trouble. Jack showed the rest what the Triumph vintage racer
is all about.

My hat's off to you, sir. Thanks.

Cheers.

--
Michael D. Porter
Roswell, NM (yes, _that_ Roswell)

The gulf between content and substance continues to widen....