fot

Re: Fw: 5 speed gearbox

To: gasket.works@gte.net, fot@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Fw: 5 speed gearbox
From: TRBILBO@aol.com
Date: Wed, 8 Aug 2001 23:16:39 EDT
That box was acquired by Toshen (forgot his last name) who told me he was
sending it to  Deiter and I got to go thru that box before it went to
Germany.probably 8 or ten years ago I would guess .  Believe as close as we
could tell the case had been cut and modified/rewelded with what looked like
a rover fifth gear and a rover shift assembly mod. It was not a very nicely
done installation and did seem like  a LOT of work but it did LOOK like it
would work. Just god forbid you had to rebuild it as the pedigree was very
uncertain and some gears had been resurfaced (i.e., no number could be seen).
Wondered if Deiter ever got it working right. Price was right as we pulled it
from a very trashed glass paneled SCCA TR6 that had been rolled and parked
for 5 or 6 years (the car was junk).

As far as 5 speeds there is of course the T5 conversion offered in Australia
(now worldwide distributors), the T5 bellhousing mod made by one of the So
Cal Triumph Owners In Palmdale....and have seen many Alfa 5 speeds in TR's
over the years (but always suspected I could not afford to rebuild an alfa
box if i broke it.

Sure there are other mods....that's just my two bits. Luckily I run an IRS
car. Cheaper  (and easier) to build a diff to swap with the right gearing and
run close ratios in the tranny to take care or business.

Cheers!! If Deiter gets this or if it could be forwarded I'd appreciated it.
And say Hi to Joachim too. Still waiting to hear if they can make it to mid
Ohio next year.

Cheers again,

Bill Burroughs, #195 1965 TR4A IRS
E Ticket Triumphs