fot

Fot archiving

To: fot@autox.team.net
Subject: Fot archiving
From: Mark J Bradakis <mjb@autox.team.net>
Date: Tue, 27 Mar 2001 01:34:29 -0700 (MST)
A list member asked about looking up old discussions of the list, so I replied
with some basic info about the current half-baked state of archive access.
Those of you on some of the other autox.team.net lists may have heard, or even
experienced for yourselves the troubles with the archives at listquest.com,
so there is a chance that getting this stuff working in a reasonable fashion
may move up in my priority list.

Anyway, for those of you who were not aware of this, and as a reminder to old
hands I'll send this to the entire list.  If you've got some time to kill, it
may be interesting to browse some of the older month's mail, see what hot
topics have come and gone on this list.

mjb.
====

Well, this may or may not be a difficult task.  First off, go to

http://www.team.net/cgi-bin/wilma/fot

See if a search there helps.  What will happen is that you can search for
various topics and keywords from the start of the list up until about a year
ago.  For some reason I have not yet discovered the last 7 months or so of
FOT mail do not generate info for the archives, some odd header or something.
I'll fix it someday.

The second problem is that if the search is successful, it will return bogus
links.  For some reason, again I've not yet gotten this worked out, there is
extra verbiage in the link.  The highlighted link will be something like

/local/apache/htdocs/html_arc/fot/9811/msg00140:(No subject)

The pertinent info is the fot/9811/msg00140 part.  The 9811 means the eleventh
month of 1998, November.  Armed with this tidbit if you do find some messages
which you would like to read, you can then go back to the search page and
click on the 'browse' link at the top of the page.  Then match the month and
year to the info in the bogus link, and click on that month's 'Index' link.
As one might surmise, the "msg00140" part of the bogus link means the 140th
message of that month.  So you'd need to scroll down 140 messages to get to
the one you want.  Well, there is a minor nit with whether one starts counting
at 0 or 1, but you should be able to find the message you want.

Yes, it is a pain, and I do want to get it fixed so it works more smoothly,
but it has not been high on my priority list.