fot

Re: Commission plate query

To: Randall Young <randallyoung@earthlink.net>
Subject: Re: Commission plate query
From: "Bill Sohl" <billsohl@pop.mindspring.com>
Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2001 09:18:00 +0000
Randall wrote:
> Bill Sohl wrote:
> > As above, unless the state that you register the car in does
> > some type of check, I doubt anyone would care.  The one
> > state that goes to the extreme is California...but other than CA,
> > I am unaware of any other state doing any type of examination
> > to that degree.
>
> FWIW, not even the People's State of California requires pre-1965
> vehicles to have closed circuit crankcase ventilation.

I didn't think so either, but it is good to have a definitive
answer.

> Although in the past there was a one-time emission inspection
> requirement for all vehicles being registered for the first time, at
> present there is none for model year 1973 and older.  The only thing
> they look at now is the VIN tag (& I had to show them where to find it
> on my TR3).  No mention whatsoever of the engine number.

My experience in other states also.

> I believe some states still do inspect, but not to higher standards than
> those in effect when the car was made.  And, there were no pollution
> standards in effect in 1963.

In New Jersey, every car must meet some level of emissions.
The level for a 1963 is very loose, but a car that smokes
at all would not pass.  Other states have similar "no visible
smoke" requirements.

Cheers,
Bill