fot

US Triumph Racing History

To: EISANDIEGO@aol.com, mlcooknj@bellatlantic.net
Subject: US Triumph Racing History
From: N197TR4@cs.com
Date: Tue, 22 Aug 2000 12:17:00 EDT
Cary,
I have what I think is a very nearly complete set of Sports Car Graphic/Car &
Drivers in my possession. I also have a nearly complete set of Road &
Tracks....and much more in the way of Car magazines coming.

The SCG & C & Ds are not exactly mine, but I suspect that the owner will
conveniently decide to leave them with me on a permanent basis.

I like the your ideas about developing some archival approach to preserving
the TR history. As you know, by now, I have somewhat abandoned my prusuit of
doing a "North American Triumph Racing" history in a book form. I need to
walk before I run and not sure I could do it justice. In the meantime, I am
developing a pretty good library of books and magazines.

Joe Alexander

Joe Alexander
<< ike

     I have been gradually accumulating old Sport Car issues at various
 events. I rarely see issues of Sports Car Graphic, old Autoweeks and not
 familiar with the other publication. Do you know of anyone who sells
complete
 sets?

     Mike, your explanation was very helpful. Do I understand that prior to
 1964 that there were simply regional/divisional championships? Do you know
 when that started?  Would these too be covered in the magazines?

     I did receive a couple other direct e-mails about this era of SCCA
racing
 from other FOT members. Their recollections differed slightly from yours
with
 respect to the early races. I may be the only one who is interested and
 uninformed, so I am going to limit future question about this era. I looking
 for a good book on this time period, any recommendations?

     I was at Pebble Beach over the weekend. As I watched the judging, I
began
 to wonder if the very gray haired judges (as opposed to my partially gray
and
 well thinned hair) had any replacements in training. I also wondered what
 would happen to the cars. Then I began to wonder about the fate of the
 Triumph race cars whose history is being obscured by the focus on the more
 elite brands and well publicized racers.

     Books such as what you have written help preserve that history. However,
 I think there is a need to go further to document the past racing so that it
 is readily available for others to appreciate. Frankly, until I began going
 through old Sport Car magazine looking for the history of the Lorincz
 Spitfire, I never fully appreciated how prevalent and successful the
Triumphs
 have been in US racing.

     It has been interesting of late that there has considerable chat about
 some of the old race cars and former racers. I have learned a lot from those
 chats. Maybe I am the only one. But I want to let the rest of you know that
 do enjoy the exchange of information. Thank You.

     I certainly did not mean to criticize any one of the authors on the FOT
 list by my previous comments. I know that the investment of effort in
writing
 books is seldom properly compensated. I was suggesting more that we
 collectively should do something to more extensively document past history.

 Respectfully yours, Cary