fot

Re: K & S Alignment/Sharing Information

To: emanteno@ix.netcom.com, fot@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: K & S Alignment/Sharing Information
From: Catpusher@aol.com
Date: Wed, 3 Jun 1998 21:35:05 EDT
emanteno@ix.netcom.com writes:

<< FWIW, the heat and bend method was the method of choice in the book
 "Vintage Racing British Sports Cars" The heat and beat method was
 attributed to Dennis Day.

<snip>

I knew that I could avoid this thread, alas.....

The heat and bend is great 20's thinking that I used well into the 70's;
until I knew better.  Turn the steering and watch the upper control
arms twist.  NOT a good way to go.

I get enough neg. camber by slotting the upper fulcrum to frame holes,
using PINNED offset upper A arm bushings, and slotting the later
(yes, some TR3Bs came with them) control arms to move in the ball
joint.  You will need the correct trunion for the 3 deg caster, which you
want.
 I strongly advise against using the TR2/3 upper control arms on the
track for safety reasons.

BTW caster stagger may work at the 500, but can cause major problems
under braking, so I strongly recommend getting the two sides even Joe.

I also find toe out terrible on my chassis.

For those of you who still insist on bending the vertical links,
there is a Miata & driver that last helped me.

Who has measured the bump steer in a stock TR2/3?  I would like to know
the figures.
                           Regards,        HP