fot

Harmonic balancers, was Elec Fans vs Efficiency

To: FOT@autox.team.net
Subject: Harmonic balancers, was Elec Fans vs Efficiency
From: DLM Assoc <DLMAssoc@aol.com>
Date: Tue, 31 Mar 1998 07:19:20 EST
Hello all...

Got my decals and patches today, and they're beautiful.  I'm trying
to figure out what the color problem is and can't see one, but then
my pilots license says "corrective lenses".

Also, there's been a lot of talk about electric fans on the regular TR
list, and I've got one on my TR4 (not much help that I can see but I
also need a radiator recore).

My question is, at what point does harmonic imbalance come into
play if the stock fan is removed?  Harmonic balancers are a little pricy,
but not much compared to replacing all the innards if the crankshaft
breaks.

Is there some easily understood science to this?  Do you automatically
have to put an harmonic balancer on if you remove the fan?  Or only if
you're going to rev it above ___ (fill in the blank) RPMs?  BTW, this
engine will be 87mm, head shaved 150, cam, balanced, etc., but with
stock rods and pistons.  It'll also be rev limited to 5500 or 6000 for
autocrossing, at least for the time being.

Thanks...
Don Marshall
'63 TR4 EP Lite