fot

Re: tips needed for removing cylinder liners

To: emanteno@ix.netcom.com, fot@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: tips needed for removing cylinder liners
From: Malaboge <Malaboge@aol.com>
Date: Sat, 28 Mar 1998 21:40:07 EST

<<
 For those of you with TR2-4A wet sleeve engines:

 I am no luck budging my cylinder liners. I have cut a block of wood and
 turned it sideways so as to not be going with the grain, and then placed
 another block of wood on that that extends out the bottom of the upside
 down block. I have been whacking this with a 2# hammer. Anybody have any
 tips.

 Thanks much.

Irv-

I have seen a few motors assembled with locktite (not to mention mother
nature's own locktite...rust) on the lower mating flanges. A little heat
application with a small torch will allow the locktite (if that is the
problem), to release. Now for the badnews...some motors I've taken apart have
had to have the sleeves removed in several pieces.
I've made a tool for pulling the sleeves out that consists of a metal disc
that is stepped to fit into the lower end of the sleeve. This disc has a hole
in the center thru which I bolt a piece of all thread which then sticks out of
the bore by several inches above the block. I've then got a sort of "hat"
shaped section that is larger than the sleeve in diameter, and enclosed at one
end, again with a hole in the center thru which the all thread passes. A
coupla washers and a nut, tighten the nut, and with any luck, the sleeve will
come free.

Rube Goldberg aint got nothin on me...
      Nick in Nor Cal